- Name: Zack Riesland
- Location: Research Triangle, North Carolina
- Email: email@example.com
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/zackriesland
- Professional Experience: 15 Years +
Available for freelance web design projects and freelance hourly consulting on serverless and "big data" technologies (Hadoop, Amazon Web Services, etc).
You can download my resume here
- I hold a growing list of AWS certifications, including Certified Solutions Architect Associate
- (Check out this presentation from Re:Invent 2018 where they highlighted a scalable application I build using Step Functions, Batch, Lambda, Aurora Serverless, SNS, and more)
Summa Cum Laude graduate (with a 3.99 GPA) from North Carolina State University, where I was part of the inaugural class of the University Honors Program.
I'm very comfortable learning, adapting, juggling lots of responsibilities, and staying ahead of the curve.
August 2021 - Present
Principal Data Engineer
Appian Way Energy Partners, Full-Time - Durham, NC
1/3 of the engineering team, focussing on cloud, scalability, and general architecture
October 2017 - August 2021
Senior Principal Data Engineer
Sensus, Full-Time - Durham, NC (promotion from previous title)
Continually enhancing our corporate data lake, which we rebuilt to be 100% cloud native.
- Extensive use of AWS technologies, including
- AWS Batch (containers, docker, ECS, ECR)
- AWS Step Functions
- AWS EMR (spark, hadoop, hardware optimization, cost efficiency)
- AWS Kinesis (streaming)
- AWS Athena (presto, SQL)
- AWS Redshift
- AWS Redshift Spectrum
- AWS Glue
- Designed and built multiple customer-facing solutions for data access API over Redshift, including management of the data
- Designed and built horizontally scalable process to parse up to thousands of files simultaneously
- Worked with Amazon to present the architecture at Re:Invent conference
- Designed and built horizontally scalable process to perform ETL on virtually unlimited size incremental data
August 2014 - September 2017
Senior Data Engineer
Sensus, Full-Time - Durham, NC
Design, develop, and maintain a Hadoop stack for smart grid analytics, including web-based GUI tools for querying, viewing, and reporting data.
- Built our Hadoop cluster from scratch and scaled and maintained it to trillions of rows in scale
- Extensive use of Hortonworks Data Platform (HDP) including Hive, HBase, Ambari, Spark, Tez, etc.
- Integrated Apache NiFi for fully customizable ingest flow
2012 - 2014
Level III Engineer
Cisco, Full-Time - RTP, NC
2008 - 2012
Senior Fuel Engineer
Gilbarco Veeder-Root, Full-Time - RTP, NC
Full-time software developer/designer. My job was to help design and implement bug fixes and enhancements to an enormous base that runs at almost 30,000 sites across the country and processes almost half a billion dollars every day.
Tech: Java, C, C#, C++, SQL, XML, JAXB, VB, VMWare,
2004 - 2008
More details available by request
2000 - 2005
North Carolina State University
Computer Science - 3.99 GPA, Summa Cum Laude
- Benjamin Franklink Scholar
- Order of 30 & 3
- Founding member of the University Honors Program
- University Scholars Program
- Also pursued degrees in Environmental Engineering and Philosophy
1996 - 2000
JF Webb High School
- 3-sport varsity athlete
- 1550 SAT score
Available upon request
Java is the first language I ever learned and I still use it regularly. I'm extremely comfortable with all the associated tools like Maven / Jenkins / IntelliJ, etc.
SQL / Redshift
I've written and tuned a lot of SQL code over the years, including MS SQL server, Redshift, MySQL, Hive, Phoenix, and Spark. Recently focussed on Redshift.
I'm comfortable across the stack, including tuning Tomcat, deploying .WAR files, writing scalable, performant Java APIs, building REST APIs, etc
I helped build our corporate data lake from scratch on a Hadoop cluster that I primarily maintained. I'm comfortable with Hive, Tez, Map Reduce, Spark, Ambari, HBase, Phoenix, etc.
I spent a large portion of the past year working in EMR, including Hive, Tez, and Spark queries, and writing Java code against the API for dynamic creation and use of clusters.
AWS Batch / AWS Step Functions
I spent the better part of 2017 designing and building a sophisticated application leveraging Batch and Step Functions.
We rebuilt our entire data lake from the ground up to be 100% cloud-native and almost completely serverless. Our ETL is designed over Lambda and Batch, and even our EMR clusters are ephemiral.
Freelance Web Design Services
I enjoy helping (hourly) with all sorts of freelance web design services including:
- Building your website from scratch (including lots of Wordpress experience)
- Customize or tweak your website
- Improve SEO on your site to improve your search engine performance
Big Data Technology Consulting
I love helping clients explore and leverage "big data" technologies including:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS):
- Step Functions
- Redshift / Spectrum
- Dynamo DB
- Elastic Beanstalk
- Map Reduce
Connect with me over email and let me help you take the mystery out of the new big data technology!
Email is the best way to get in touch with me.